Give to the bird of spiritual desire the wing of the mystic sense;
give a heart to Reason, and ecstasy to the soul.
HOST YOUR EVENT AT AZAHARA
Azahara has several large rooms as well as ample outdoor spaces that can be used for study or other gatherings, such as day/weekend events, small weddings, brunches, lunches and dinners:
- The Zawiya is a large room in the main building that features beautiful handmade Moroccan rugs and cushions, and that can comfortably seat 40 people or more.
- The open-air mosque is one of Azahara’s most striking features. A converted barn, the roof is overlaid loosely with bamboo that allows through rays of sunlight, and that can be covered with cloth when necessary. The floor is paved with traditional terracotta tiles covered with large Moroccan wool rugs in vibrant colours. It is a remarkably peaceful space that no-one who visits ever forgets!
- The light-filled classroom opens onto a large terrace has spectacular views of the valley and Mediterranean Sea. It is a very quiet and private place, with direct access to poetry walkways and shaded sitting areas.
- In the main building is the shared kitchen, which has been used to make food for up to 80 people. It can also be used to conduct various kinds of practical courses, from cooking and pickling to soapmaking and natural fabric dyes.
- We also have a private swimming pool next to the mosque, which currently functions without chlorine.
The land itself is large enough to provide ample space for a whole host of activities, for example at a kids’ or teens’ camp. These can include:
- Hiking in surrounding mountains
- Martial Arts e.g. Capoeira
- Scavenger Hunts and other open-air games
- Theatre and storytelling
- Singing and music making
- Seasonal activities on the farm
Facilitators for these and other activities can be locally sourced, as well as babysitters. By hiring a minivan, you can also go swimming, surfing and kayaking at the coast, or wild swimming or canyoning in rivers in various parts of the Alpujarras. And of course, the Alhambra is an essential addition to any trip to the Granada area! For more information on tailoring your trip, please contact us using the contact form here.
Outside of occasional events, in general Azahara is an extraordinarily peaceful place for retreat, whether for prayer, reflection, or personal study. The studio apartments are ideal for individuals seeking a quiet place to read, think and work, while the landscape offers endless opportunities to walk and appreciate the spectacular natural environment.
For groups wishing to organise a retreat we can offer the 2 studios, 3 houses, and dormitory style accommodation in the Zawiyah, for a total of up to 20 people.
The classroom, Zawiyah, and mosque can be used for guided reflective activities, while there are innumerable outdoor locations between the olive trees that are superb for meeting in nature. We can host up to 40 guests; see our rentals page for more details.
To book your retreat at Azahara, please contact us using the contact form here.
Located less than an hour’s drive from Granada’s international airport, and 1.5 hours from Malaga’s, Azahara is a very accessible site, making it an excellent location for study groups to meet and learn.
As above, the main spaces for study are the classroom, Zawiya and mosque. However, since we enjoy fine weather most of the year round, the outdoor spaces such as the patio and the olive groves can also be used as open-air classrooms. Azahara is able to host up to 40 guests; see our rentals page for more details.
To book your seminar at Azahara, please contact us using the contact form here.
For more information on any of the above, or general enquiries regarding hosting your event at Azahara, please get in touch with our team, who will be happy to assist. We can also produce a tailored estimate at your convenience.
Share this page: